Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sotres, Asturias


One morning our cousins Jose Luis and Vicen drove over in their SUV and took us on a "little" day trip. We ended up driving through 3 states / regions before we got home . Our first stop was a lovely little family operated bar/general store for a late morning vermouth and a quick browse around the various cowbells, milking stools, dried codfish...you name it! Stop two was Cabrales, an area known for the very famous blue cheese of the same name. The cheese is made and then aged in caves in the mountains, some wheels are wrapped in oak leaves while it ages. For all of you that have tried Cabrales Cheese you know that it is one strong cheese! Stop three that day was this lovely little village "Sotres" for Menu del Dia or menu of the day. My first course was spaghetti cabrales. Noodles with blue cheese! I was unsure about anything other than marinara sauce on my spaghetti noodles but I tried, I liked, and now I eat it at home in Kansas. If Miguel and I look really full in this photo its because we were!

No comments: