Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Gift


This is the corridor to my in-laws home. Three garages make up the ground level, the basement, workshop, coal storage and access to the wonderful backyard are below the garages. The top floor is where we live. Do you see the blue canary on the right? I remember when Miguel , myself and his sister went to the flea market in Gijon. We debated if a bird would make a good gift or not and apparently we decided it would. Mari (my momma in law) was delighted. Luis (my papa in law) started grumbling instantly about having to clean bird shit from the walls. It was about two days later that the entire family went out together (I cant remember where) we arrived home to find the family dog, Perla waiting by the door looking so very guilty. Walking through the beaded curtains I guess it was really no surprise to discover the blue canary dead as hell on the floor of the kitchen. I felt so bad for my mother in law, she really loved that bird.... Mari reached down picked up the poor little thing , shrugged her shoulders and tossed it over her shoulder into the backyard. She didn't even look back as she went in to wash up and prepare dinner. I guess it was at that point that it dawned on both Miguel and I that Mari was not really as delighted as we wanted to think she was with our gift. Moral of this story...... animals do not make great gifts. Second moral of this story.... mothers will pretend to absolutely love anything their kids bring them home!

2 comments:

Karina said...

HAHA!!! My parents gave me two Cockatiels for Christmas a few years ago, and I really did love the gift but after a few years of living with LOUD and MESSY birds in my too small condo, they wore out their welcome rather quickly. ;-)

Anonymous said...

ps felix is my husband
Johanna said... Enjoyed all your stories , which has brought me to get in touch with you .My husband ,son and I are planning to move to Asturias .We have been selling handcraft in car boot sales in the Malaga province , I would love to have some info about the flea market in Gijon or round about the area if they are similar to car boot sales or the markets which sells mainly heaps of clothing and shoes................