Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bullfighting!

(Forgive me if I have posted this photo before)
I understand that there are three major bullfight rings or "plazas",(in the world) Las Ventas in Madrid, La Maestranza in Sevilla and La Monumental in Mexico City. I remember an old friend telling me some twenty years ago that she loved Spain but hated the bullfights.
I was a bit apprehensive when I attended my first bullfight in Las Ventas, but my husband reassured me that we could simply leave if so needed.
The fight we attended was called a Rejoneo, where the men fight the bulls from horseback.
I was lucky enough to sit next to a man that explained the science of the fight. I remember one Torero resorted to fancy footwork with his horse, and my new friend was quick to point this out and to not let it impress me!
A team of surgeons stand by in a fully functional on site operating room, but thankfully they were not put to work that day!
If a Torero kills their bulls "cleanly" without suffrage from the bull, then they are carried out on the shoulders of the spectators. While the Torero that makes the bull suffer will leave the stadium in disgrace! The white boxed area in the background of this photo is reserved for Spain's Royal Family. I didn't get to sit there.

No comments: