Friday, October 26, 2007

Fabada Asturiana


This evening is cold , cloudy and in general dreary as hell. Fortunately I had the remedy for just such a day in my kitchen cabinet. Fabada is probably the most famous dish in all of Asturias. Its a hearty bean stew, somewhat similar to our "ham and beans". My mother in law Mari makes the BEST fabada! Every year Miguel and I bring cans of this home from Spain in our suitcases. Forget the silly souvenir's, we pack food! Fabada is costly to make though. Quality fabada beans cost about 10.00 dollars a pound. The ingredients on the can I just consumed or inhaled reads as follows....Beans, salted pork belly, black pudding, chorizo, olive oil, salt , sweet paprika and saffron. I really miss Asturias today. I miss it a lot.

2 comments:

The Passionate Palate said...

How cool! I remember eating Fabada in Asturias, but unfortunately never ventured into a store to buy a can to take home. Again, next time!

Anonymous said...

It's a rainy grey day here and a bowl of those beans would be sooooo yummy.
I miss Asturias too today, and I've never been.
Take care,
Frances