Thursday, August 9, 2007

How I met my husband


No this is not my husband. This is the best friend of my husband, and the man that introduced us. Meet Fernando! In 2001 I was very blue over the fact that I still had not traveled to Ireland. It had been at the top of my to do list for many years.( I need to add that I hadn't traveled anywhere!) I found a lovely chat room Gallway Chat and visited with locals about everyday things, what they had eaten for lunch that day, the weather etc... During my visits I chatted and became friendly with a Spaniard that had better English than me! Over the months we exchanged photos via e-mail of our homelands, as Id never been to Spain nor he to the United States. He had sent me pictures of him and his friends in front of various castles and climbing Roman gold mines and drinking wine in outdoor bars... I sent him pics of main street USA etc. Anyway, one day we were chatting and he said "my best friend is online , would you like to meet him?" Miguel and I talked for maybe 8 hours that 1st time and everyday after that for several months. Eventually it was agreed upon that Miguel and I couldn't live without each other and it would be easiest for him to come to Kansas. He came with one suitcase. Within 90 days his visa was up and September 11th happened. (huge story here but no room.) Miguel and I would have gotten married anyway but the events of 9-11 and the panic it caused over people that looked different from Americans led to our marriage after only 3 months. Hey Fernando if you read this blog THANK YOU! MEETING YOU CHANGED MY LIFE. te echo de menos mi amigo.

8 comments:

Fernando said...

You're welcome, Jannis.I had almost forgotten those Galway Chat times.It seems it happened centuries ago.Do you remember that out first chat was about dinos?But not "doing it", of course.They were American dinos and limited themselves to leave footprints for the future.
I miss you guys too.
Muchos besos para todos.

Anonymous said...

I love a LOVE story.
Thanks for sharing.
Waving at you from New York,
Frances

Pamela said...

that should be a #1 song on the country chart:

HE CAME WITH ONE SUITCASE

chorus
(and he stayed until his Visa was up)

Unknown said...

What a great story!

Jannis said...

Pamela, you made me laugh so hard! I will smaile the rest of the day as I compose that song in my head.... Jannis

Jenni said...

Very cool story! I'm going to have to come back and look around later since I've already spent too much time online reading everyone's Fun Monday entry. I love meeting other Kansas bloggers, though.

I cannot believe the dino love display! Too funny!

I love the Westie picture. He is so sweet! We have a Westie, too. He is actually dd's, but I claim him for my own. He is my favorite of our three dogs and he likes to lay on my feet while I'm at the computer. *And* he's got a real Scottish name, Hamish Fergus Madadh (pronounced Ma dug).

MommaBoo said...

What an amazing story.

Love stories are the BEST!

Thank you for sharing it with us!

MommaBoo said...

I have made something for you.

Please go here to get it:

http://boosbuttons.blogspot.com/2007/08/friendship-bracelets.html

ENJOY!