Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Simple Pleasure


One of my favorite Asturian meals is not very glamorous that's for sure! It involves 3 items. Wine (duh) a big chunk of crusty bread and fresh caught sardines from the north Atlantic ocean. Fresh sardines are available in many sizes but I like the little ones as I can eat the spine as well . Hey I hear the spine is loaded with calcium! The "fish truck" sometimes comes through town or we can purchase the daily catch from one of a hundred markets. Competition is good, if someone sells you less than perfect product you will just never patronize that shop again. My mama in law can clean a kilo of sardines so fast you wont believe it! In one swift motion of the thumb, she pops the heads off and guts them. They are rinsed under water , dredged in flour and lightly fried in olive oil. Any leftovers are served cold with vinegar. I should add that my son and my father don't seem to share my love for this meal!

2 comments:

dancingbrook said...

If your husband doesn't mind ;-), I want to go with you to Asturies next summer.

The Passionate Palate said...

Yum, yum and yum! I would be right there with you poppin' those babies in my mouth and washing it down with wine. What great simple pleasures!