Thursday, September 20, 2007

Las Caldes


One morning during breakfast my husband asked me if I would like to go see a castle? "Are you kidding" what American isn't enchanted by a castle!

" Its a long walk for you " he said

" Bring it on , I can handle it" I replied....To make a long story even longer, I guesstimate that we hiked 7 or 8 miles that day, (one way) If I remember correctly I started complaining at about mile marker 3. When we started to get close to the castle I started perking up!

"OMG I see it!!" I literally had goosebumps, I was so excited!

We stopped for pictures on a narrow bridge over a beautiful clear river with this gorgeous castle as a background.

"OK lets go eat lunch now" my father in law said and started to walk away.

Whaaaat? We just walked 8 miles to view a castle from afar? I stress the afar! The long and short of it was YES, that's exactly what we did.

" Oh I thought you knew that we couldn't go in" Miguel said (was it my imagination, he wasn't looking me in the eye!) To this day I will never forget how deceived I felt. I was so mad at the time but now I can smile every time I see a picture of "my almost castle" Miguel knows me well however and plied me with a 4 course meal, plenty of cider, vino and strong coffee and it wasn't a completely horrible 8 mile hike home......

3 comments:

Fernando said...

For anyone who can read Spanish, you have here 2 links which explain this castle's history:
http://www.vivirasturias.com/asturias/turismo-rural/40872/13959/0/castillo-de-priorio-o-de-las-caldas/index.html
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_Priorio
Jannis, I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing when I imagine you at Les Caldes looking at the castle and realizing you can't go in after the long walk.
Besos

qualcosa di bello said...

the photo is enchanting! but what a hike to get there...at least you were bribed with food. works for me!

The Passionate Palate said...

Oh, I would have been let down, too! But also like you, the food and wine would have calmed my anger. :-)