Saturday, September 8, 2007

Mis Amigos de Veguin


Spending the past 5 summers in Asturias, España has allowed me to make some very good friends. Two however standout. Here are my 2 best friends from Veguin, Asturias. Jose Calvillo Gomez is 93 years old. He was an officer in the Spanish Civil War. He was injured badly in a grenade attack and 2 soldiers put him on a stretcher to carry him to safety, one of the soldiers was shot and killed dead while saving my friend. Jose has had both heels on his feet badly damaged as a result of the grenade, but still walks all over town with the help of his cane. His favorite food is garlic soup and I love him. We try to meet as often as we can in one of the bars in town while he enjoys a glass of wine and I usually enjoy several bottles of sidra. My other friend is the beautiful Minerva named after a Greek goddess. Minerva owned Bar Corea for several years and that is the place where my Spanish excelled to new levels! I go there in the morning before lunch to read the newspapers visit with everyone ...and drink sidra. Minerva lives across the street from our house and will hang a flag out her kitchen window to say hello. I enjoy Sunday nights when we can get together in Bar Corea , her cousin Ovi now owns it. They have a huge family of women and its so much fun to get together and laugh and eat and drink sidra. If anybody in Veguin reads this post , please buy Jose a drink and give him a kiss from me. Traducción: Si alguien de Veguín lee esto, por favor que le den un beso de mi parte.

4 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

no wonder you are missing asturias!

Karina said...

What a wonderful tribute to your friends. Jose sounds like a fascinating man to know.

MommaBoo said...

"Friends are gifts we give to ourselves."

It looks as though God has blessed you wholely with such amazing friends.

Cheers to them both!

Anonymous said...

puxa asturies!! puxa veguin!! puxa calvillo!!! grande calvillo, que grande es