Friday, January 25, 2008

La Paloma Cafeteria, Oviedo Asturias


Vermouth, its whats for breakfast in Spain. Keep in mind that Spaniards don't get up as early as Americans. (as a rule) But somehow Spaniards do not sleep near as much as Americans. I guess that there is just to much to do and when you live in Spain you can sleep when you are dead. This is my most favorite place in all Asturias to drink mid morning vermouth. La Paloma. I have been coming to this bar for Five years now and every day its the same two men tending the bar. I wish I knew their names. They are the most efficient and happiest workers I have ever met in my life. I am sure that these men are the reason customers pack this bar several times a day standing shoulder to shoulder . It is here that businessmen and businesswomen come out of their offices for a mid morning vermouth and a tapa of Spanish tortilla, snails, mussels or giant deep fried shrimp. The barrel in the right foreground is where the homemade vermouth is poured for the thirsty customers. Several years ago Miguel and I purchased a bottle to bring back to Kansas. Its loooong gone, but I still have the bottle to look at when I get homesick.......... OK I'm officially homesick!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...there are some mornings when I could definitely use some Vermouth!
Here's looking at you kid ;)

qualcosa di bello said...

i feel for you on this...i nursed the italian wine & olive oil from our last trip as long as i possibly could, but it was over all too soon.

hey, that breakfast thing...i loved my caffe corretto (coffee "corrected" with alcohol) at any time of day while in italy!

Karina said...

Vermouth for breakfast huh? That's a wake up call! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Gracias por promocionar Oviedo y que te haya gustado.